"Budding Artists" Tree

Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:03 AM Posted by Moranlovescrayons
For the beginning of school, I'd thought it'd be fun for the all of my students, K-4th, to participate in a community art project. I admit, I openly stole this idea from another art teacher's blog. But, it's such a good idea...


Our tree after the 3rd week of school.
Each student was asked to create a leaf/flower/acorn to decorate, cut out and place on our ART TREE. They could decorate it however they wanted. They wrote their first name on the front and then the 4th graders put one goal they have for the year on the back. At the end of the year, I'm going to let them take the leaf home.
My students got creative, of course! After a while, some asked to draw animals instead of leaves. I told them as long as they stayed with in their size and remained school-appropriate, they could make whatever they like. I have some very creative students at ORE, so now we have chipmunks, owls, worms, geckos...all kinds of lil' creatures in our tree. With my kinder students, I had them trace their hand, decorate it however they like and then cut it out. I also encourage my older kids to raise their hand as high as they could (without standing on their tiptoes) and place their leaf at that height. At the end of the year, they are going to see if they can reach any higher to see how much they've grown. :)
The kids so far are really excited about participating and donating their artwork to such a big, colorful piece of community artwork.

0 Response to ""Budding Artists" Tree"

Post a Comment