Kindergarten's Hidden Line

Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:57 PM Posted by Moranlovescrayons
We have been studying LINE as an element of art the past two weeks in Kindergarten. I started out by introducing different types of line to them. On our first day we used our "magic marker" or finger and practiced drawing them in the air. (We even have different sounds for different types of lines.) After we got a good feel for each type of line: straight, broken, curvy, zigzag and overlapping crazy (that last ones just for fun) we practiced drawing them on paper.

On day two I let them take turns identifying different types of lines on other people's artwork. We also rolled out play dough into long skinny "snakes" and practiced creating lines in 3D.

The last day we made these beautiful "Hidden Line" pieces. I told them to create a "secret" piece of artwork that no one could see. We used white crayon on white paper. They worked pretty sneakily to keep it a secret from their neighbors! Then we rubbed/blotted dot-painters over the top to reveal their secret lines! They really loved this project and its nice to "paint" without making a huge mess. I admit, I was short on dot-painters, so we worked in stations. I have 5 tables with 4 dotters each. After a 2 minutes at a table, we all "rotated" to a new station with new colors. The Kindergartners really liked the constant moving and discovering new colors at every table. I think the artwork turned out very well!


Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

1 Response to "Kindergarten's Hidden Line"

  1. april Says:

    Nice Job Mrs. Moran...Im beginning to see what some of those supplies are for...

Post a Comment